GIVE GIFTS FOR THOSE IN NEED
As we have done in the past, Thornapple is helping Degage Ministries this Christmas; we are inviting members of the Thornapple community to donate gifts for the needy (see suggestions below) and bring them to church by December 9 (we will start collecting Sunday, Nov. 25) and place them either in the designated collection bins in the Lobby or under the tree outside of the Sanctuary. These gifts will be given to Degage Ministry to help stock their Christmas Store. This is a more dignified way to help as it allows men and women the opportunity to choose and purchase items (at a very small cost) rather than to receive free handouts. Proceeds from the Christmas Store will allow Degage to purchase bus tickets (they distribute an average of 45 bus tickets per week to help patrons travel to and from medical appointments, job interviews and other important commitments).
Donated gifts should range in value from $5 to $25 (please donate new, not used items). Do not wrap the gifts.
Gift item suggestions for children and adults (note: gifts should be new – not used items):
- Games and puzzle books for adults
- Small appliances (coffee maker, toaster, microwave, crockpot, etc.)*
- Hats, scarves, gloves (new)
- Flashlights and batteries
- Radios, alarm clocks, other household items
- Towels (all sizes)*
- Sheet sets (all sizes)*
- Tool kits
- Socks, underwear, long underwear, undershirts (men & women)
- Candles and jewelry
- Wrapping paper and Christmas cards
- Men’s toiletries*
- Headphones and electronics
- Sleeping bags and blankets*
- Kid’s clothes and toys
- Pajama sets (all sizes)
* Favorite items
This opportunity comes from Thornapple’s Love Mercy Do Justice team. If you have questions, please contact Karen Knister.