Marriage Ministry: Thornapple Covenant Church is committed to helping, encouraging and supporting marriages, whether they are healthy or hurting. Our ministry to marriages includes:
- Engage | A 5-week workshop for engaged couples put on by Thornapple Marriage Ministry. Topics covered include: managing expectations, successful communication, healthy conflict, financial planning and intimacy & commitment. Learn more and sign up for the course here.
- The Marriage Course is offered typically twice a year - fall and winter, to those in the Thornapple Covenant Church community. The aim of The Marriage Course is to help couples grow closer and build a healthy relationship that will last a lifetime. (See below for more about the content.*) The Marriage Course is for any couple who wants to invest in their relationship, whether you have been together 1 or 61 years. We typically offer it twice a year or when we have enough couples interested in taking it. The course is 7 sessions and meets every other week until it is complete. If you have questions, contact Pastor Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 957-0580. If you are interested in taking the course and would like to be notified when the next one is scheduled, click here.
- Counseling | For hurting marriages, counseling is available through the church ministry staff or recommendations can be made of local counselors. Contact a member of the pastoral staff if you are interested in marriage counseling: Pastor Rob, Pastor Andrew or Pastor Karen.
*More about The Marriage Course: We use the Alpha Marriage course materials. It includes seven sessions and takes place in a host couple's home. The course dates are set by the host couple after the group is formed. On each meeting night you are first served a delicious meal. Then you listen to practical Alpha Marriage Course talks that are informative and fun. You will never be asked to share anything about your relationship with anyone other than your partner. We encourage couples to look at this as a "date night." Couples with children will need to arrange for their own childcare.
Over seven sessions of the course you will discover practical tools to help you:
- understand each other’s needs
- communicate more effectively
- grow closer through resolving conflict
- heal the ways you’ve hurt each other
- recognize how your upbringing affects your relationship
- improve relationships with parents and in-laws
- develop greater sexual intimacy
- discover each other’s love languages and much, much more
To learn more about the Alpha course, click here.