The Love Mercy Do Justice team works to develop a heart for issues of justice at Thornapple, and to offer ways for people to respond to injustices.
Gary Haugen from the International Justice Missions says, “In fact, God in his graciousness has provided a role for every Christian in his work of seeking justice. For every follower of Jesus Christ, securing rescue for the oppressed is meant to be an integral part of our life of Christian devotion simply because it is how we share in the fullness of the character of God.”
To learn more about upcoming events and service opportunities connected to justice and urban ministry, click here. There are many organizations that we can come alongside in our efforts to do justice. Here are a few that are active in justice ministry that you may want to connect with:
- Refugee Ministry: Thornapple strives to help refugees who were displaced from their homes and have come to the Grand Rapids area. For more about Thornapple's ministry to Nepalese people, click here. Also, Bethany Christian Services, PARA works to link newly-arrived refugees with church co-sponsors, individual volunteers, service providers, and other community resources.
- Compassion International, Mission: In response to the Great Commission, Compassion International exists as an advocate for children, to release them from their spiritual, economic, social, and physical poverty and enable them to become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults.
- Dalit Freedom Network, Mission: The Dalit Freedom Network partners with the Dalits in their quest for freedom, justice, and human dignity by mobilizing human, intellectual, and financial resources.
- Eve's Angels, Eve's Angels is a non-profit organization that ministers the Love of Jesus Christ to women in the sex industry.
- International Justice Mission, International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that brings rescue to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. Consider supporting them by becoming a Freedom Partner for $24 a month. To learn more click here. To view a short video called At the End of Slavery by IJM, click here.
- Manasseh Project, The Manasseh Project is an outreach ministry of Wedgwood Christian Services dedicated to ending the sexual exploitation of young men and women in West Michigan.
- Operation Mobilization India, Mission: India Group of OM Ministries transforms lives and communities in India by equipping people to share the love of God in word and in deed.
- Polaris Project, Mission: Polaris Project is committed to combating human trafficking and modern-day slavery, and to strengthening the anti-trafficking movement through a comprehensive approach.
- Sacred Beginnings, A transitional program that helps women recovering from sexual exploitation, human trafficking and substance abuse in Grand Rapids.
- Safe Haven Ministries, Helping women and children find freedom from domestic violence.
- The Hope Project, Mission: The Hope Project's mission is to bring restoration and healing from the effects of sexual trafficking.
- Twelve:12Hope - Dr. Tim Friesen works around the world to help, support and counsel workers in ministries battling injustices. Contact Tim Friesen for information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Women at Risk International, Mission: Women At Risk, International unites and educates women to create circles of protection and hope around women at risk through culturally sensitive, value-added intervention projects.
- World Vision, World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. World Vision is partnering with the Covenant denomination on a new project: Covenant Kids Congo. For more information, click here.