The Love Mercy Do Justice Ministry's goal is to encourage and enable the Thornapple family to reach beyond our walls to respond to needs in the urban community and to work to end injustices in our community and around the world. The name LOVE MERCY DO JUSTICE aligns us with our denomination. "From our inception the Covenant has been concerned with helping hurting people (love mercy), and addressing the causes of that hurt (do justice)." We join God in making things right in our broken world. He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8. Check out our Facebook page by clicking here.
Below are upcoming important dates and serving opportunities:
- The Love Mercy Do Justice team will meet on Thursday, Oct. 19 at 7pm in room 106 in the lower level. Anyone with an interest in participating in Thornapple's urban and justice outreach efforts is welcome to come.
- Thornapple serves dinner on the first Saturday of every month at Degage Ministries. Karen Knister oversees scheduling of the 8 volunteers needed for each time. If you would like to be added to our list of volunteers simply contact Karen. She sends emails our quarterly to find out who can work each of the Saturdays that we serve. No experience is necessary.
- Fall Habitat Women's Build work days | October 21 and November 3. These two dates are for women only. Sign up here.
- Urban Plunge - Thank you to all who participated in the 2017 Urban Plunge. Save the date for the next Urban Plunge: April 14, 2018!
More general information:
- Justice- For some specific ideas and ministries related to justice efforts, click here.
- Urban - For a list of current urban ministry related ministries and volunteer opportunities, click here.
Below are the standards for how we choose community organizations to support:
- Must be a non-profit organization.
- Must serve the poor and needy in urban Grand Rapids or be a ministry that works to end injustices around the world.
- High percentage of funds directly benefit the poor (low overhead).
- Need for Thornapple support critical. We favor organizations where Thornapple’s support will make a difference.
- Volunteer opportunities available.
- Mission is Christian or consistent with Christianity.
- The Love Mercy Do Justice Team, exercises its judgment and may support organizations whose mission is not specifically Christian, but is consistent with Christian faith. Examples include Kids Food Basket (feeding hungry children) and the Kent Country Jail program (helping those in prison or families of those in prison).
- The majority of organizations we support have a Christian Mission.